Assisted by Derbyshire Fox rescue

Monday 18 October 2010

An extended Night Patrol

Mr Cruisedog and I had a long cliff top Night Patrol tonight. We hadn't seen My Vixen for four nights running and as the last time we had seen her she was limping, I was beginning to get worried for her well-being. Things were complicated when another old friend, the one-eyed badger boar approached while we were patiently waiting in one of My Vixen's usual spots. Mr Cruisedog doesn't mind foxes in the least but badgers are another matter - and he will lunge at them if they get too close. The old boar was hungry and kept getting closer, holding his head high and sniffing furiously (badgers have poor vision at the best of times and only having one eye wouldn't help) and it was difficult holding onto Mr Cruisedog. Eventually, after placating the boar with a piece of chicken and a digestive biscuit, he moved off and at that point, to my great relief, My Vixen ran up to us. No longer limping, she gobbled down her chicken and followed us for a few hundred yards as we continued on our rounds. With so much going on, time lost its meaning and I was surprised that we had been out for two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment