Assisted by Derbyshire Fox rescue

Friday 4 October 2013

KANDAA'S SECRET

For a few weeks now, Kandaa the vixen and the only fox that takes food by hand, has been acting most strangely.  She appears in my garden at the allotted feeding time and devours her food.  Then, after our Night Patrol around the combe, she invariably is waiting for me as So Cruise and I return, some distance from my garden.

However, I have recently observed her taking the food into the same field, pausing to look back furtively at me to ensure she's not being followed or observed.

Well, tonight I discovered Kandaa's secret.  The first clue was a young fox appearing in the lane in front of us and immediately fleeing into a field.  This in itself was unusual as virtually every fox and badger know of our existence and habits.

Around the corner, Kandaa was sitting, awaiting our return.  She advanced and gently took the piece of chicken from my hand, turned and entered the usual field.

This time, I waited for a few seconds, tethered So Cruise my collie cross, and entered the field with my head torch turned off.  Moments later and I heard the usual sounds of  a young fox calling for food. 

It then dawned on me that Kandaa was still taking food to one of her offspring but away from the scrimmaging and fighting of the other first season foxes.  A very sensible choice as all the other mothers and aunties (vixens who care for other cubs/young foxes other than their own) are constantly plagued by foxes several months old who constantly beg and steal food rather than forage themselves.

Kandaa,  a beautiful and wise vixen ...

No comments:

Post a Comment