Assisted by Derbyshire Fox rescue

Sunday 20 June 2010

June 20th - A red-letter 'night'

Just after a week ago, the new batch of fox cubs presented themselves in the top meadow - being taught how to hunt by mothers and aunties.

At the conclusion of our nightly cliff walk patrol, Mr Cruisedog and I encountered our favourite, 'My Vixen' who had been afflicted with Sarcoptic Mange last winter but was slowly recovering. She rushed up and gobbled down 3 chicken thighs before dashing off with some food in her mouth. I had been wondering for a few weeks whether she was caching it or feeding cubs. Well, I got my answer tonight as suddenly, two small shadows approached and she let them take the food off her. Instead of retreating, both cubs bounded past us with small pieces of food in their mouths. Both were healthy and had no signs of mange. A very rewarding night indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment