Assisted by Derbyshire Fox rescue

Friday 11 June 2010

Wednesday, 27 May 2009

Mr Cruisedog (your esteemed editor) ...

... on the cliffs between Maidencombe and Labrador Bay ...

Tuesday, 26 May 2009

A taxing early hours ...

Foxes are easily spooked, as I found out tonight. The previous night I had committed the cardinal sin of returning after encountering 'Snatcher' - my newly acquired vixen of merely a month's acquaintance. Cruisedog and I had had to return to retrieve a bag with plastic wrappings which any animal could easily have swallowed and choked upon. To Snatcher, our sudden reappearance must have meant one thing - danger and she had fled along with her companion. Twenty four hours later, Cruisedog and I found emptiness where for a month Snatcher had waited as regular as clockwork. Eventually, after nearly an hour, she ventured cautiously forward, but would not come to take food from me. It's not back to square one, but it'll probably take a week or two before she regains confidence. However, after nearly forty years of animal 'watching', the one thing I have learnt is patience.

Monday, 25 May 2009

Just as I thought ...

... the tripod was a non-starter. Its presence made both foxes very nervous, so I ditched it in the hedge and tried to film holding the cam sideways (as above) ... with mixed results.

Sunday, 24 May 2009

Probably won't work but ...

I'm just about to set off to film 'Snatcher' with a cam on a tripod as filming one-handed while feeding with the other hand is proving tricky. She may well take exception to the apparatus, but it's worth a try. We'll know either way in about two hours time ...

'Snatcher' is a real handful ...

... proper planning prevents poor performance ... got to Snatcher's location but was having trouble with the camcorder which needed adjusting. After only about 10 seconds waiting, Snatcher grew impatient and made a grab for Cruisedog's lead (while he was tethered by it!) ... then as soon as I commenced filming, the cam message came on-screen: 'Card full' ... Drat! So I had to laboriously delete a few clips to make room. This further delay was too much for 'Snatcher' who ran forward and snapped her teeth firmly on my right trainer! It's proving to be quite tricky filming with one hand and feeding with the other. Tomorrow I'll try and set up the camcorder on the tripod and film remotely as this is a most unusual animal ...

Friday, 22 May 2009

Razor-sharp teeth on my new friend ...

... a most remarkable animal ...

No comments:

Post a Comment