Assisted by Derbyshire Fox rescue

Friday 11 June 2010

Friday, 3 July 2009

Foxes are very much creatures of habit ...

... I reflected on my nightly rounds. In good lighting conditions, (moon or lane lighting) individual foxes can be identified, but out on the cliffs and dark with no moon it's a different story. They still can be identified, however, by their position and behaviour. Any fox or badger which appears in a different spot and will not approach is likely to be a newcomer and it will observe closely the movements of 'my' animals and more likely than not, join my merry crew eventually. A special favourite of mine is a young vixen who is looking after her first litter and rather than get mixed up in the fighting and squabbling at a spot where several foxes converge, she waits for Cruisedog and I to complete our circular route (up to an hour) and emerges from the shadows for her treat. A few weeks ago, she would gather all I threw to her in her mouth and slink off to take it back to her cubs. Now the two surviving cubs are bigger, they now wait in the shadows a few feet away and dash forward to snatch the thrown food immediately from the mother, who for the time being, always gives it up. Another little country tale for all you city dwellers out there ...

Sunday, 28 June 2009

Badgers seldom look back ...

... when retreating, whereas foxes usually do. As Michael Caine said: 'Not many people know that' ... Advancing down the top meadow in the high grass, two distinct furrows of parting grass were observed going off in diagonal directions from me. With the LED's on my head torch, I observed a pair of greenish yellow eyes pause to look back while nothing was seen of the other departee. Stooping over to deposit some scraps, I became aware of a badger to my right and a vixen to my left. Both were intently staring past me at each other, ready to advance when I left. And yes, the pair of eyes I saw looking back were the vixen and the badger was the other, who didn't. Did you like that?

Saturday, 27 June 2009

No luck with fox filming ...

... the whole schedule thrown out with the no show of my vixen. At just after midnight, I started the round to find only her cub of about 3 months waiting in the lane. It was her first 'solo' appearance without her mother and she approached to within a few feet to feed. On my second pass a half hour later, the mother appeared and was very nervous, snatching food and running away each time. Something must have happened for her to miss her usual slot but she appeared unhurt. I didn't attempt to film the young female by herself and will wait until tomorrow when hopefully, all will be back to 'normal'. All other points on the 2 mile circuit are usually unsuitable for filming as to turn on any light will spook all in the vicinity ...

Friday, 26 June 2009

More fox footage to follow ...

... after the midnight hour ... these are rural foxes, NOT urban, streetwise, human-aware foxes ... they know only one human and one Cruisedog ...

Thursday, 25 June 2009

The grass is chest high ...

... in the top meadow and a chance encounter with a young badger boar making its way in the wide world, certainly enlivened proceedings on my nightly rounds with the Cruisedog. Wading through the grass safari (so good) style, I heard a noisy rustling in front of me which could only be a badger (they're big and mean enough not to care about noise) and sure enough, a black and white striped snout emerged sniffing furiously ... standing still, I waited for the inspection to finish - a sudden movement can make a badger charge straight at you - not pleasant ... Anyway, this particular badger knew of me (when you take the same route nightly, scores of eyes follow you) and backed slowly away - to await my offerings. Further along the cliffs, a vixen approached for her two chicken scraps which she collects up and takes away for her cub or cubs - now about 3 - 4 months old but still dependent on her for food. A magical moment as the cub, in its excitement, rushed from cover to drag the chicken from the mouth of the mother and then rushed away with its prize. Just two moments from the nightly walk - every night is different, every night rewarding and informative ...

No comments:

Post a Comment