Assisted by Derbyshire Fox rescue

Monday 14 January 2013

Becbla, my blind vixen

A brilliant start to our Night Patrol as Becbla, my totally blind vixen, was waiting for us in plain view some 12 yards away and no other foxes nearby to harass her.  She hadn't been seen for three or four nights and I had two large pieces of lightly cooked beef with me in case she made an appearance - two in case she didn't get the first piece.   She started to retreat and I hurled the meat towards her.  She wheeled on hearing the impact and started to search for it.  A few seconds later, and she still hadn't located it and was on the point of departing so I threw the second piece towards her.  This time, to my relief, she found it and with ears flattened and belly close to the ground, scuttled away with her prize.  I went forward to find the first piece of meat, slightly puzzled why she hadn't found it as it seemed to have landed near her.
The reason became evident when my light fell upon it ... it had landed on top of a small tussock of grass, just high enough for Becbla to have missed it as she scented with nose to the ground.   She won't appear for several nights now - the piece of meat was enough to feed So Cruise for two nights!

No comments:

Post a Comment