Assisted by Derbyshire Fox rescue

Monday 28 January 2013

BECBLA SURPRISES

Becbla my blind vixen had been missing for over a week and I was beginning to think that she might have succumbed.  So Cruise and I had reached her usual meadow and again there was no sign of her as I scanned the area with a high intensity beam.  A lone fox was watching from the safety of a hedge about 30 yards away.  I had a lamb bone with plenty of meat on it left over from feeding So Cruise but I wanted to give it to one fox otherwise there was bound to be a fight over it.  There was excellent visibility with clear skies and a virtual full moon overhead.  I swept the meadow for a last time and left the lamb bone for the lone fox to enjoy.   I moved away and turned after a few strides to observe the fox take its prize.  The fox was there but as it turned I was astonished to see no reflection off its eyes (from my head lamp) - it was Becbla!

The lone fox was nowhere to be seen.  Becbla found the lamb bone and wheeled immediately with it in her jaws and retreated rapidly down the valley.   I watched her progress with my high intensity head torch until she merged as one with the hedge about a hundred yards away.  No other fox was in the vicinity.

The question was how I hadn't spotted her as she must have been within 20 or 30 yards of me all the time I was putting food down.  She has a whitish front which stands out well.   The cunning of her concealment had fooled me completely.  A very pleasing result to know she is still well.

No comments:

Post a Comment